The success of your examination depends on the bowel being as clear as possible.
You will either be given a bowel preparation kit and instructions by your doctor, or you will be sent instructions advising which bowel preparation to use, and detailed instructions how and when to take it.
Please follow any specific preparation instructions given by your Gastroenterologist.
Oral contraceptives may be affected following the bowel preparation. Please take extra precautions for the rest of the month.
If your Gastroenterologist has given you specific preparation instructions follow these.
Most Jolimont patients will use Prep Kit C which can be purchased at your chemist. This kit contains 3 powder sachets for use.
Please click Colonoscopy Preparation -The White Diet to download these instructions on how to use this preparation and what foods can be eaten. Do not use the instructions on the box.
The preparation may cause multiple bowel movements soon after taking the first dose.
Individual responses to this preparation vary so remain in easy reach of toilet facilities.
THE WHITE DIET
The White Diet is a simple low residue diet which allows food to be eaten
the day prior to colonoscopy without compromising the quality of the bowel preparation
under normal circumstances.
WHITE DIET FOODS PERMITTED:
• Milk, plain yoghurt, margarine, butter, vanilla ice cream, white chocolate
• Plain cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, fetta cheese, sour cream
• Egg whites, mayonnaise, cream, white sauce
• White rice or pasta, potatoes (peeled)
• Rice Bubbles, regular white bread/toast, plain rice crackers
• Chicken breast (no skin), grilled white fish fillet
WHITE FOODS TO BE EXCLUDED:
• pears, parsnip, cauliflower, onion,
• high fibre white breads (e.g. Wonder White),
• Tofu, coconut, porridge, banana, mushrooms, semolina, couscous, popcorn.
4 DAYS BEFORE PROCEDURE
• Stop oral Iron supplements,but continue blood thinners unless advised not to .
2 DAYS BEFORE PROCEDURE
• Start eating from “The White Diet”
• In the evening, make up the sachet of Glycoprep-C 70g with 1 litre of water, following the instructions on the packet. Chill in the refrigerator to make it easier to drink. You do not drink this until 8:00 pm the following day.
ONE DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE
During the day drink at least one glass of Approved Clear Fluids* (plus preparation liquids) each hour until bedtime.
You may eat anything, in moderation, from ‘The White Diet’ until 5:00pm.
6:00 pm FIRST DOSE: Add the entire contents of ONE sachet of Pico Prep to approx. 250 mls of water. Stir until fizzing ceases. Drink the mixture slowly but completely. This should be followed by adequate Approved Clear Fluids* to maintain hydration.
8:00 pm SECOND DOSE: Remove the made up Glycoprep-C from the fridge. Drink all of this solution over the next hour or so. If you feel nauseated slow down the rate. Follow up with Approved Clear Fluids* (at least one glass an hour until bedtime) to maintain hydration.
DAY OF PROCEDURE
4 HOURS BEFORE YOUR ADMISSION TIME:
THIRD DOSE: Add the entire contents of ONE sachet of Pico Prep to approx. 250 mls of water. Stir until fizzing ceases. Drink the mixture slowly but completely.
Drink 200 mls of Approved Clear Fluids* per hour, until 2 hours prior to your arrival time, then FAST.
1. Medications may be taken with a sip of water whilst fasting .
2. Oral contraceptives may be affected so take extra precautions for the rest of the month.